- facebook messenger
brian flores has sued the nfl and three teams – the dolphins, broncos and giants – alleging discrimination in his interview processes with denver and new york and his firing last month by miami.
The 58-page lawsuit was filed in Manhattan federal court Tuesday and seeks class-action status.
Reading: Brian talks about his lawsuit n.f.l.
flores alleges dolphins owner stephen ross tried to incentivize him to “tank” or lose games on purpose shortly after he was hired in 2019, with ross allegedly offering flores $100,000 for each loss that season. Flores says that when the team won games late in the season, Dolphins general manager Chris Grier told him that Ross was “mad” that success on the field was “compromising [the team’s] position in the draft.” “.
Furthermore, Flores alleges that Ross pressured him to draft an “outstanding quarterback” at the end of the 2019 season, which the coach refused so as not to violate NFL rigging rules. Later, Ross allegedly invited Flores to a yacht for lunch in the winter of 2020, where he informed her that the quarterback would “conveniently” arrive at the marina for an impromptu meeting.
flores refused the meeting and left the yacht. Later, Flores alleges that he was “treated with disdain and presented as someone he did not comply with and with whom it was difficult to work.”
former miami coach brian flores sued the nfl and three teams (the dolphins, the giants and the broncos) alleging in part racism in hiring practices. Among his allegations: Dolphins owner Stephen Ross offered him $100,000 per loss in 2019 to help with the team’s draft position and that the Giants and Broncos conducted “fake” in-person interviews with him to comply with the rule. rooney. the full lawsuit can be found here.
was fired Jan. 10 despite posting the Dolphins’ first consecutive winning seasons since 2003 (10-6 in 2020, 9-8 in 2021).
flores also alleged that the giants interviewed him last month for the head coaching vacancy for no reason other than to comply with the nfl’s rooney rule, which requires teams to interview minority candidates for their open positions. the league has amended that rule in recent years and now says teams must conduct an in-person interview with at least one outside minority candidate for any general manager or head coaching vacancy.
flores claimed that he spoke with the giants through zoom the jan. on Jan. 18, before the team hired former Buffalo Bills assistant general manager Joe Schoen as general manager on Jan. 1. 23. said that the next day, Schoen finalized his interview date for January. on Jan. 27, and Giants co-director of player personnel Tim McDonnell texted Flores, saying she hoped she would “come in and win the f-ing job.”
However, hours later, Flores’ lawsuit alleges, he received a series of text messages from Patriots coach Bill Belichick, with whom Flores worked for 10 years in New England. In those messages, Belichick told Flores that he had heard of “buffalo and nyg that you are his boy”.
flores asked belichick to clarify if he wanted to speak with him or with brian daboll, who was also competing for the giants job. belichick recognized her mistake and informed her that the giants wanted daboll.
“sorry i fixed this. i double checked and misread the text. i think they are naming brian daboll. sorry” belichick allegedly texted.
See also: NBA 2K23: Best Playbooks to Use – Outsider Gaming
flores alleges that his jan. The Jan. 27 interview with the Giants, which complied with Rooney’s rule because he was the first minority candidate to interview in person, was a “sham.” new york hired daboll, bills’ former offensive coordinator, a day later.
flores alleges something similar happened when he interviewed with the broncos for his head coaching job in 2019. flores says then-denver general manager john elway, among others, showed up to the interview an hour late and with hungover, claiming they had been “drinking a lot the night before.”
The Giants, Dolphins and Broncos responded separately to the allegations on Tuesday.
Brian Flores’ lawsuit shines a brutal light on the NFL’s hiring practices
The giants said they were “pleased and confident” with their hiring process.
“We interviewed an impressive and diverse group of candidates,” the team said. “The fact is that Brian Flores was in the conversation to be our head coach until the very last minute. Finally, we hired the person we felt was most qualified to be our next head coach.”
The Dolphins “vehemently” denied the allegations against them” and noted that they are “proud of the diversity and inclusion throughout our organization.”
“The suggestion that we acted inconsistently with the integrity of the game is incorrect,” the team said.
and the broncos detailed their January. interview with flowers on January 5, 2019, saying that he started promptly at 7:30 a.m. m. in providence, rhode island, it lasted 3.5 hours and was carried out with five team executives.
“Pages of detailed notes, analysis and evaluations of our interview demonstrate the depth of our conversation and sincere interest in Mr. Flores as a head coaching candidate,” the team said. “Our process was thorough and fair in determining the most qualified candidate for our head coaching position.
“Broncos will vigorously defend the integrity and values of our organization, and its employees, from such baseless and derogatory claims.”
See also: How much should a 16 year old bench
Denver finally hired Vic Fangio for the position.
In the lawsuit, Wigdor Law LLP, the firm that represents Flores, said the coach hopes to “shed light on the racial injustices that occur within the NFL.” Among the areas Flores said she would like to see addressed:
• increase the influence of black people in hiring
• increase “objectivity” in hiring/firing general managers, head coaches and coordinators
• increase the number of black coordinators
• incentivize the hiring/retention of Black general managers, head coaches and coordinators
• pay transparency for general managers, head coaches and coordinators
The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages from the NFL, which called the claims “meritless” on Tuesday.
“The NFL and our clubs are deeply committed to ensuring fair employment practices and continue to make progress to provide equal opportunity across our organizations,” the league said in a statement. “Diversity is fundamental to everything we do, and there are few topics that our clubs and internal leadership team spend more time on. We will defend ourselves against these unsubstantiated claims.”
flores, who turns 41 later this month, had been linked to head coaching vacancies with the houston texans and new orleans saints since being fired by the dolphins. New Orleans interviewed him for the head-coaching job Tuesday, according to ESPN’s Mike Triplett.
“God has gifted me with a special talent to coach the game of soccer, but the need for a change is greater than my personal goals,” Flores said in a statement released by the firm Wigdor. “In making the decision to file the class action lawsuit today, I understand that I may be taking a risk coaching the game that I love and that has done so much for my family and me. My sincere hope is that by standing up against systemic racism in the NFL, others will join me in ensuring positive change is made for generations to come.”
Douglas Wigdor, an attorney for Flores, told the New York Times that Wigdor Law LLP is investigating claims from other trainers who may be part of the class action lawsuit. He noted that Flores contacted the company the same day he received the text messages from Belichick.
See also: Who is Katarina Witt&039s husband? Everything you need to know – Tuko.co.ke