The following players were released (or traded) by the Cleveland Browns, cutting their 90-player roster to the league-required 53 players. make sure to react to all the hacks in the comments section below! the final list of 53 men is also at the bottom of this post.
Update: The Browns claimed three players off waivers on Sunday.
Reading: Browns 53 man roster 2019
cut offensive players
- rb trayone gris
- rb a.j. ouellette
- fb joe kerridge – resigned/injured
- wr braxton miller – though miller did well In his week or two with the Browns, the team probably feels he has enough receiver talent to not need Miller’s skill set at the back of the roster.
- wr derrick willies – if there was a “surprise” cut, it could be willies, who showed promise last year and had a pretty good camp again. he could have been the outsider, thanks to a last-minute trade for taywan taylor.
- wr damon sheehy-guiseppi – now, all eyes they’ll be put on the good story comeback man, to see if he lands on a scrimmage.
- wr ishmael hyman – ran around a bit with the first team offense a bit on minicamp, but then returned to a reserve role for training camp. despite some knockdowns, he was second on the team this preseason with 11 catches for 130 yards.
- wr dorian baker
- te seth devalve – maybe it was written on the wall that devalve was heading for the door. it wasn’t used much last year by freddie kitchens, and it didn’t have much of a role in this year’s camp.
- te stephen carlson – there was 4 catches for 38 yards this offseason.
- ol kyle kalis – suspended/injured. born in lakewood, ohio and goes to st. eds, was a candidate for the starting right guard job, but suffered a concussion during camp and lost strength.
- ol brad seaton
- ol bryan witzmann
- ol brian fineanganofo
- ol willie wright
- ol travis vornkahl
cut defensive players
- by jarrell owens – 1 tackle and 1 sack this preseason.
- by anthony zettel
- dt brian price: played in 12 games for cleveland last year and finished with 11 tackles. didn’t record any stats this preseason, and everyone knew the team was looking to improve depth.
- by wyatt ray: Had 7 tackles, 1 sack, and 2 quarterback hits this preseason.
- dt carl davis
- dt brandin bryant
- lb willie harvey – had 8 tackles on defense and 2 on special teams during the preseason.
- lb anthony stubbs
- lb dedrick young ii
- lb ray-ray armstrong: there weren’t a lot of “surprise” cuts on defense, but armstrong’s throw comes a little close to that, both in depth like why they play special teams.
- cb robert jackson – had 6 tackles on defense and 2 on special teams during the preseason. the team is said to be trying to get him on the practice squad.
- cb donnie lewis jr.
- cb lenzy pipkins
- s montrel meander: He was on the Browns’ practice squad for most of last year, then was called up again a little over a week ago. he might find his way back to the practice squad.
- sj.t. Hassell– Hassell was second on the team with 13 tackles on defense and 3 on special teams during the preseason.
- s tigie sankoh
special teams players cutout
- p britton colquitt: the veteran gambler did nothing wrong; In fact, he’s still more consistent than rookie P Jamie Gillan. but the scottish hammer had a good camp and preseason, so it’s an opportunity to let go of a younger player while shedding colquitt’s $2.7 million salary.
- k greg joseph
- qb david blough-traded to detroit lions. didn’t see much action during camp, but played during preseason due to baker mayfield or drew stanton seeing little action.
- wr taywan taylor – changed from the titans to the browns. looks to be the browns’ fourth or fifth wide receiver to start the year.
- og justin mccray: Acquired from the packers for a 2020 draft pick.
- cb phillip gains – placed on going with a concussion.
final roster of 53 men (as of 8/31/19)
The following players do not count towards the 53-man roster:
- injured reserve: wr d.j. montgomery, c lo falemaka, cb phillip gaines
- reserve/suspension list: rb kareem hunt, wr antonio callaway, te rico reunites