wish jackson was speechless.
It was December. On January 19, 2010, 10 years ago, Jackson had just recorded one of the greatest plays in Eagles history, his legendary 65-yard punt return against the Giants.
walked into the interview room at metlife stadium still in full uniform and stood at the podium, looked around the room and said, “i just need a few minutes.”
and wishes stood there and tried to collect his thoughts, and you can’t blame him for being speechless.
that’s the kind of day it was.
to recap: the giants took a 31-10 lead on eli manning’s touchdown pass to kevin boss with 8:17 left in the game before the eagles scored on michael’s 65-yard touchdown pass vick to brent celek at 7:28, vick’s 4-yard run with 5:28 remaining, vick’s 13-yard touchdown pass to jeremy maclin at 1:16, and d-jack’s historic punt return to a 38-31 win.
that was the highlight of the 2010 season. the joe webb game was nine days later and then the packers loss in the playoffs.
but for one day, the eagles were on top of the nfl world, and that game was so wild that, as we sit here a decade later, it’s worth revisiting the top 10 things about the eagles’ historic victory. eagles over giants. 10 years ago today.
1. The Eagles trailed 31-10 with 7½ minutes left in the fourth quarter, scoring 28 points in less than eight minutes. The 28 points are tied for the ninth-most in NFL history in a fourth quarter, and that’s tied for the most points the Eagles have scored in any regular-season quarter and second-most in history. . they scored 31 in the second quarter of the 1995 wild card win over the Lions at the vet.
2. michael vick rushed for 130 yards, 94 of them in the last 7½ minutes. he had runs of 35, 33 and 22 yards during that stretch, as well as a 4-yard TD run.
3. vick threw for 242 yards: 121 in the first 52 minutes and 121 in the last 8 minutes. so he had a combined 157 rushing and throwing yards through the middle of the fourth quarter and 215 yards in the final 7½ minutes.
4. Vick became only the second QB in NFL history and the first in 59 years to rush for 130 yards and throw three TDs in a game. The Packers’ Tobin Rote did it in a 52-35 loss to the Packers at Briggs Stadium in Detroit in 1951.
5. d-jack’s punt return remains the only game-winning punt return with no time remaining in nfl history.
6. The Giants outscored the Eagles 341-204 in the first 52 minutes of the game. the eagles outscored the giants 214-23 in the last 8 minutes.
7. After the eagles cut the lead to 31-17 on celek’s td, david akers executed a successful onside kick, with riley cooper recovering. that was the last time the eagles pulled off a successful side kick in a win.
8. The eagles’ 35 points in the second half tied a franchise record set in a 52-10 win over the cardinals at busch stadium in 1981. it was the most points allowed by the giants in a second half in 43 years.
9. The comeback from 21 points down was the fourth-biggest in Eagles history, but the biggest in a fourth quarter. the blown 21-point lead is the third-largest in Giants history and the largest in a fourth quarter.
10. The Eagles’ three fourth-quarter scoring drives totaled 220 yards and totaled 4 minutes, 34 seconds. that’s an average of 91 seconds per scoring unit.
subscribe to the eagle eye podcast:
apple podcasts | googleplay | spotify | stapler | art19 | watch on youtube