how it happened
- after forcing an iowa punt on the first possession, the wildcat offense drove 80 yards in 13 plays on their first drive. they capped the drive with a 5-yard touchdown pass to chris rodriguez from will levis.
- hawkeye’s defense forced a triple-and-out for -8 yards forcing a kentucky punt. the hawkeyes ran for 55 yards in 10 plays and senior caleb shudak put iowa on the board with a 28-yard field goal.
- the wildcats responded with a 21-yard field goal after of a 14-play, 72-yard drive that included a long conversion on third-and-26.
- Kentucky got the ball back after Petras’ pass was deflected and D’Eryk Jackson knocked down the interception. The Iowa defense again limited the Wildcats to one field goal when Matt Ruffolo hit from 28 yards.
- The Hawkeyes scored the first points of the second half on a 20-yard finish around the freshman year arland bruce iv for capped a six-play 40-yard drive.
- after forcing a wild punt, iowa methodically drove down the field with a nine-play 92-yard drive and took his first lead of the game on a 36-yard touchdown reception from junior sam laporta.
- kentucky regained the lead after an eight-play, 80-yard drive, scoring on a six-yard touchdown rush from chris rodriguez.
- an interception by deandre square with 0:48 remaining sealed the game for the wildcats.
- lb jack campbell led iowa with 14 tackles, tied for fourth in citrus bowl history. Campbell had 143 tackles this season, the fifth-best single-season total in school history. Hawkeye’s 143 tackles are the most since Pat Angryr had 145 in 2009. Campbell had five double-digit tackles (11, 18, 17, 16, 14) this season.
- RB Gavin Williams Set career highs with a career-best 98 rushing yards on 16 carries. Williams was Iowa’s leading rusher for the second straight game. Williams made the first start of his career. he is the first running back from iowa to make his first career start in a bowl game since jordan canzeri made his first career start in the 2011 insight bowl against oklahoma.
- te sam laporta had a career-high 122 receiving yards and matched his career high with seven receptions. He is the first Iowa tight end to have 100 receiving yards since T.J. hockenson in 2018 (107 against indiana). Laporta led Iowa this season in receptions (53) and receiving yards (670). He is the first T to lead Iowa in receptions and receiving yards since T.J. hockenson in 2018 (49-760).
- k caleb shudak connected on his only field goal attempt (28 yards) and connected on both slaps on saturday. shudak scored five points today, bringing his season total to 108 points, the fifth-highest single-season total in school history. This season, Shudak went 24-28 in field goal attempts and connected on all 36 attempts. he finished his career 24-29 in field goal attempts, an 82.8 career percentage that ranks no. 1 in school history (minimum 25 attempts). his 85.7 field goal percentage in 2021 is the fourth-best single-season percentage in school history (minimum 15 attempts).
- wr arland bruce’s 20-yard touchdown run at the third quarter is the longest run of his career, and the third rushing touchdown this season.
- rb leshon williams set career highs with 10 runs and 42 yards.
- iowa had a season-high six sacks Saturday, including two from dl zach vanvalkenburg, who finished with eight tackles and 2.5 tackles for loss.
- lb jermari harris had a fourth fourth interception, his fourth interception of the season. Iowa had an interception Saturday to raise his season total to a school record of 25. The Hawkeyes have 89 interceptions since 2017, more than any team in the country. eleven different hawkeyes had at least one interception this season. Four Hawkeyes have at least three interceptions this season (Belton 5, Moss 4, Harris 4, Hankins 3). The last time Iowa had four players with at least three interceptions in a single season was 2018 (Gervase 4, Hooker 4, Stone 4, Ojemudia 3).
- Iowa’s 15-game winning streak against non-conference opponents was photographed on Saturday. the non-conference winning streak was the longest in the country. The loss was Iowa’s first non-conference loss since the 2017 Outback Bowl (Florida, 30-3).
- Iowa played for a trophy for the sixth time this season. the hawkeyes went 3-3 in trophy games this season and 25-7 in their last 32 trophy games (includes bowl games and conference championship games).
- iowa had more than 19 in margin of turnovers in their 10 wins and minus seven in their four losses this season.
- kentucky won the toss and opted to defer. The Hawkeyes have played 288 games under head coach Kirk Ferentz. Iowa has started the game on offense 214 times (136-78). the hawkeyes have started the game defensively 74 times (42-32).
iowa opens the 2022 season by hosting South Dakota State on September 1. 3 at Kinnick Stadium.
Reading: Iowa hawkeyes football bowl game