chelsea ended manchester city’s hopes of winning a historic quadruple by overcoming a hard-fought fa cup semi-final at wembley.
however, chelsea had other ideas and deserved the win they got when hakim ziyech slipped in timo werner’s pass in the 55th minute to set up a fa cup final against leicester city or southampton.
Reading: Man city chelsea fa cup
ziyech had a goal disallowed for offside before scoring, but that was enough to beat a lethargic city, which has made eight changes since their champions league win against borussia dortmund and now has the worry bonus of seeing kevin de bruyne limping. he was injured in the second half.
chelsea had a very late scare when goalkeeper kepa arrizabalaga deflected rodri’s header in added time, but manager thomas tuchel can now reflect on a hugely satisfying week as their impressive start at stamford bridge gathers momentum .
- reaction when chelsea reaches the fa cup final
- ‘tuchel, chelsea’s main man, pays for abramovich’s cruelty’
chelsea ends a great week in style
Tuchel faced a huge week as his fine start to life at Chelsea would be further shaped by the Champions League quarter-final second leg against Porto before this FA Cup semi-final meeting with a Manchester City side in hot pursuit of all four major trophies.
And it was no wonder that Chelsea’s German manager was beaming with a smile at the final whistle, as this part of his mission was accomplished in excellent fashion.
City bid farewell after Porto were beaten in two legs to leave Chelsea moving towards the climax of their season eyeing a Champions League semi-final against Liverpool conquerors Real Madrid and a Champions League final. fa cup.
No one could envy them this victory as Chelsea, from the kick-off, showed more purpose and drive than a hard-working and much-changed city team.
ziyech’s pace and finishing power worried the city from the start and it was only fitting that the man of the match slipped into werner’s pass winner, the latter getting his reward for tireless work.
There is organisation, efficiency and menace on this side of Chelsea and they have given themselves the chance to cap off what started as a troubled season with trophies.
the city of man ran out of energy and inspiration
pep guardiola always downplayed the chances of what many considered the holy grail of winning the four major trophies: the champions league, the premier league, the fa cup and the league cup.
and he was proven right when the city finally ran out of energy and inspiration at wembley.
city is back here in eight days to play spurs in the league cup final, the premier league is effectively secured and they will face paris st-germain in the champions league semi-final.
this still has the potential to be a magnificent campaign, the most spectacular and successful in the history of the city of manchester, but there will be no quadruple.
guardiola made eight changes here after the win against borussia dortmund, although you could hardly describe the team he sent in as weakened.
The city, however, lacked spark. Raheem Sterling was subdued once again and Guardiola will anxiously await the medical report on Bruyne’s injury.
Guardiola has great faith in Ederson’s stand-in, Zack Steffen, his FA Cup goalkeeper, but was stuck in no man’s land when he came to solve the problem caused by Werner’s run towards goal.
The bottom line is that even a team as outstanding as Manchester City cannot always produce results, and this was one of those days.
‘we wanted to be brave’ – what they said
See also: Event Guide – Florida Cup 2021
Thomas Tuchel, Chelsea boss, speaking to BBC Sport: “It was a very, very strong performance. I’m very happy and proud.
“we played an excellent 35 minutes in the first half. we had to suffer for 10 minutes. then we played another 30 very strong minutes and we got the lead and we could have got another one. i’m very proud of my team.
“A good defense is also having the ball and possession of the ball. It’s a very good clean sheet. We weren’t lucky enough to come out with a clean sheet, we worked hard for it.”
“the boys are ready to cover if someone loses a duel. we wanted to be brave today with the ball and against the ball and we did it.”
pep guardiola, manager of manchester city, speaking to bbc sport: “we played good last 15 minutes. we had trouble finding our place in the pockets, but congratulations to chelsea on a close game.
“we got to that position sometimes, but after that we didn’t believe. we conceded the goal, but then we reacted well, especially after phil foden and ilkay gundogan came on.
“The team that defends with eight players in the last third is not easy. In this type of match the margin is very narrow. In general we control well. We didn’t create many clear chances but we reached more than them.”
on kevin de bruyne: “he doesn’t look good, he’s in pain. we’ll see. he’ll have a test tomorrow.”
tuchel special landmark
- chelsea have reached the fa cup final in four of the last five seasons: only arsenal (21) and manchester united (20) have reached the competition’s showcase on more occasions than the chelsea (15).
- chelsea boss tuchel has become the first german coach to reach the england cup final.
- manchester city has been eliminated in the stage of the semifinals in three of his five seasons with guardiola, with the team he eliminated them the other two times and won the competition (arsenal in both 2017 and 2020).
- since tuchel’s first game in charge of the chelsea in january, the blues have kept more clean sheets in all competitions than any other team in the top five european leagues (14).
- chelsea have kept 14 clean sheets in 19 games in all competitions with tuchel, one more than frank lampard in 29 games this year. season.
- Four of Ziyech’s five goals for Chelsea have come in cup competition, while three of his five goals for the Blues have been assisted by Werner.
- werner has been involved in 19 goals in all competitions this season (10 goals, 9 assists), at least three more than any other chelsea player.
- in his 11th appearance for man city in all competitions competitions, this was the first time goalkeeper zack steffen had finished on the losing end, having won each of his first 10 games for the club.
Chelsea are next in action when they host Brighton in the Premier League on Tuesday 20 April (20:00 BST).
manchester city travel to aston villa in the premier league on wednesday 21 april (20:15 bst) before returning to wembley for the carabao cup final against tottenham on sunday 25 april (16:30 bst).
See also: What time is the fa cup final 2021