but if jumbo-visma or ef education-easypost have their way, another van der poel named nils could join mathieu in the pack. the two are not related. For those who have never heard of Nils van der Poel, he won two gold medals at the Beijing Winter Olympics in speed skating, winning the 5,000m and 10,000m distances. he also won the 2022 world speed skating all-around championships and the 2021 individual distance world championships at 5,000m and 10,000m. and in March of this year, he came first in the 5000m final of the speed skating world cup and, as a result, won the all-around men’s long-distance world cup for 2021-22.
I may be late to the party, but I highly recommend reading this article by Nils van der Poel about his training leading up to the Beijing Olympics. thanks to @scienceofsport for pointing this out on the latest @sportsscipod podcast.https://t.co/ters7etxvw
— justin daerr (@justindaerr) April 24, 2022
so nils, who is 25 and swedish, obviously has the legs and stamina to be a successful cyclist. And it’s no wonder, since his training program involves a lot of cycling, as he describes in detail in an article he wrote called how to skate 10k. for example, in the first part of his winter olympics preparation training program, which was dedicated to increasing aerobic power, his goal was to cycle 33 hours a week, the week consisted of five days, since he rested on weekends. of week. a typical week of aerobic training looked like this:
- Monday: 7h cycling at 260w
- Tuesday: 6h cycling at 250w
- Wednesday: 2h of cross-country skiing + 4h of cycling at 250w
- Thursday: 7h of cycling at 265w
- Friday : 6h by bike at 240w
what van der poel (nils) calls the threshold training season followed aerobic training and lasted 10 weeks. again, included a monstrous amount of cycling:
- Monday: 5h of cycling (5min 200w, 6min 260w, 4x30min 401w with 5min rest, 2.5h 220w)
- Tuesday: 5h of bike (5min 200w, 6min 260w, 5x20min 405w with 4min rest, 3h 220w)
- Wednesday: 5h of bike (5min 200w, 6min 260w, 6x15min 408w with 4min rest, 3h 220w)
- Thursday: 5h cycling (5min 200w, 6min 260w, 4x20min 405w with 4min rest, 3h 220w)
- Friday: 5h of cycling (5min 200w, 6min 260w, 9x10min 406w with 3min rest, 2.5h 220w)
In the third part of his training program, which he called a specific season, van der poel used cycling to warm up and accompany his intense speed skating training (the following 10k sessions refer to skating):
- Monday: session of 10k + 2.5h of cycling at 210w
- Tuesday: session of 10k + 2.5h of 210w bike
- Wednesday: 10k + 2.5h bike session at 210w
- Thursday: 10k + session 3h of cycling at 210w
- Friday: 10k session + 3h of cycling at 210w
It’s no wonder teams on the world tour are excited at the prospect of having Nils, who has retired from competitive ice skating, riding for them. According to the Dutch newspaper Wielerflits, both Jumbo-Visma and EF Education-Easypost have asked van der Poel to be tested, but he has not yet responded. both teams have refused to confirm the reports.
if nils van der poel joined jumbo-visma, he would be the third cyclist recruited from other sports. primož roglič came to cycling after a career as a ski jumper, and amber kraak made it to the jumbo-visma women’s team of the dutch national rowing team.