On a splendid Saturday afternoon, football returned to the Palace on the Prairie for the annual Red & of the oklahoma sooners. white spring set. Despite facing a three-point deficit in the opening game, ou’s (white) offense would ultimately prevail over (red’s) defense, winning 30-29.
While a couple of 15-minute halves doesn’t provide much for fans to draw conclusions from, it was quite interesting to see how some of the newcomers could potentially contribute later this fall and throughout their earlier careers.
Reading: Oklahoma football spring game 2021
as mentioned above, ou’s offense entered the spring game behind their defense, 21-0, and for a while it looked like the ‘d’ didn’t really need the extra help with a solid performance in the first half. eventually the oklahoma ‘o’ closed the gap before seizing and holding a late lead.
- Unsurprisingly, Spencer Rattler opened the spring game as QB1 and looked like his normal, active self on the field. statistically, he wasn’t the most prolific passer of the day, but the general rule of thumb is that everything in a team fight should be taken with a grain of salt. overall, the third-year player previously completed six of 14 passing attempts for 116 yards with no touchdowns or interceptions.
- of course one of the main talking points in the game and throughout the contest was the game of real freshman qb and five star signe caleb williams. Right off the bat, he seemed to be as advertised and didn’t look like a player making his debut in a college setting.
It’s early, but the reading of the zone looks like a lethal weapon with williams at the forefront. he not only consistently made solid reads, but showed impressive running ability. That day, Williams completed 10 of 11 passing attempts for 99 yards and a touchdown. he also rushed the ball five times for 42 yards. Still, there’s no QB controversy here, but so far it looks like he’s in good hands if he ever needs to turn to Williams in a pinch this fall.
- True freshman WR Mario Williams also lived up to his spring billing, showing off his elite burst and general pass-catching savvy. Although you didn’t allow much of his special teams’ regressors on this day, watch out for the no. 4 also in the return game.
- tennessee volunteers transfer rb eric gray has generated a lot of buzz this spring, and he showed why his coaches are excited about what he brings to the offense. As both a running back and a receiver out of the backfield, this former vol clearly has qualities that would make him a starter on most programs across the country. in fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it make the depth-of-the-first list sometime this fall.
- It was nice to see junior WR Jadon Haselwood on the field after missing most of the 2020 season with a knee injury. he not only made an appearance on Saturday, but he delivered arguably the highlight of the game with this incredible one-handed catch. Physically, he has all the tools to become one of the best wide receivers in the nation. hopefully I can maintain this positive momentum throughout the 2021 season.
- another notable pearl of the offense was andrew raym receiving the opening in the center. Throughout the spring, there has been a three-way contest between raym, ucla bruins transfer chris murray and ian mciver. Speaking of Murray, he started the game at right guard while Tennessee transfer Wanya Morris started at left tackle.
Although the defense fell short on the scoreboard, alex grinch’s group seemed to have picked up right where they left off last season. Depth at all levels is probably as good as it has been in the Lincoln Riley era, and bodies continually swarmed the ball.
- lb caleb kelly is back for his sixth year at the university of oklahoma, and after missing most of the past two seasons with injuries, seeing him on the owen field was a welcome sight. i couldn’t follow him properly for the entire game during the live stream, but he seemed to be playing from the mic position early in the game.
- dl josh ellison recovered a fumble on a play where spencer rattler faked a handoff to kennedy brooks before attempting a backfield pitch to mario williams.
- Towards the end of the game, dl jordan kelley and his team were credited with getting sophomore mikey henderson into the end zone for a safety. after personal review, i don’t think it would have actually counted as insurance in a real game, but i’m okay with him standing today. either way, the important part of this play is how aggressive the defensive front was while containing the ball carrier.
Since this was a spring game, kick and punt returns were largely limited, so for now those units remain a relative mystery. Gabe Brkic, meanwhile, went 2-for-2 on a 44-yard, 24-yard field goal attempt. Backup kicker Zach Schmit nailed a 41-yard fg. finally, reeves mundschau was given the starting kicker, keeping his position from a season ago.
As I mentioned earlier, there really isn’t much to take away from a spring game, especially one as short as today’s. The QB room in Oklahoma has to be considered one of the best in college football, and the skill positions are packed with talent and experience. defensively, many members of the secondary showed promise, while the line should once again be the force on that side of the ball. best of all, while several notable early starters sat out today’s spring game, there were no apparent injuries on the day. if he can stay relatively healthy heading into the 2021 season and beyond, he should be on the short list of legitimate national title contenders.
follow crimson & cream machine on twitter!
See also: The Nineties | U.S. Figure Skating