nfl fans will have the opportunity to watch the games on tuesday to conclude week 15, although this is not what the league expected. With the Omicron variant causing a spike in Covid-19 cases across the NFL, the league has rescheduled games for the first time in 2021, moving two games from Sunday to Tuesday.
The Washington football team will face the Philadelphia Eagles and the Seattle Seahawks at the Los Angeles Rams on Tuesday night, both at 7 p.m. et: Only the fourth time the league has hosted games on a Tuesday since 1948.
Reading: Tuesday night nfl football games
nfl story tuesday
There have been a total of 10 NFL games played on Tuesdays in the league’s 102-year history. this includes American football conference games played on Tuesday nights. these are the seven nfl and aafc games played in the 1940s:
- September 16, 1941 – Cleveland Rams 10, Chicago Cardinals 6
- September 26, 1944 – Philadelphia Eagles 28, Boston Yankees 7
- September 25 1945 – boston/brooklyn yanks/tigers 28, pittsburgh steelers 7
- October 1, 1946 – new york giants 17, boston yanks 7
- october 8, 1946 – San Francisco 49ers 34, Miami Seahawks 7 (AAFC)
- December 3, 1946 – Cleveland Browns 34, Miami Seahawks 0 (AAFC)
- October 5, 1948 – Cleveland browns 14, baltimore colts 10 (aafc)
Only three nfl games have been played on a Tuesday since 1948, all in the last 11 years:
- December 28, 2010 – Minnesota Vikings 24, Philadelphia Eagles 14
- October 13, 2020 – Tennessee Titans 42, Buffalo Bills 16
- December 8, 2020 – Baltimore Ravens 34, Dallas Cowboys 17
Which teams are playing tonight?
this is the first time in nfl history that multiple games will be played on a Tuesday, and at the same time
- washington football team at philadelphia eagles (-6.5), 7 p.m. et (how to watch, preview here)
- seattle seahawks at los angeles rams (-7), 7 p.m. et (how to watch, preview here)
Interestingly, this is the third time the Eagles have played on a Tuesday night, tying the Boston Yankees for the most appearances on a Tuesday. The Rams will play on a Tuesday for the second time in franchise history, but for the first time since 1941.
The Seahawks nickname, which is not affiliated with the current Seahawks franchise, will be played on a Tuesday for the third time. Washington will play on a Tuesday for the first time, the last NFC team to play that day.
with both games on fox, how do I see them?
Since both games were originally part of the Sunday regional window on Fox, the league will have Fox broadcast both at the same time. blue region gets seattle-los angeles while red region gets washington-philadelphia:
If you have a ticket for NFL Sunday, you can watch the game outside of your broadcast window.
why are there games on tuesday this week?
the omicron variant has swept the country as covid-19 cases rise every day, and across the nfl. the rams had a significant covid-19 outbreak last thursday, placing nine players on the reserve/covid-19 list, bringing their number of players on the roster to 29, forcing the nfl to postpone the play. Washington had as many as 20 players on the roster when the NFL postponed its game with the Eagles.
“we have made these schedule changes based on medical advice and after discussion with the nflpa as we are seeing a new highly transmissible form of the virus this week resulting in a substantial increase in cases across the league” the NFL announced in a statement Friday. “We continue to make decisions in consultation with medical experts to ensure the health and safety of the NFL community.”
Los Angeles has 13 players on the COVID-19 roster as of Monday (not including the practice squad or players on injured reserve). Washington has 13 and several coaches on the roster.
players on covid roster for each team playing Tuesday:
This list does not include practice squad players. all nfl players on the reserve/covid-19 list can be found on our tracker here:
- t andre dillard (December 20)
- ol landon dickerson (December 20)
washington football team
- g brandon scherff (December 20)
- qb taylor heinicke (December 17)
- s kam curl (December 16)
- c tyler larsen (December 16)
- cb troy apke (December 15)
- qb kyle allen (December 15)
- lb milo eifler ( december 15)
- s darrick forrest (december 15)
- ot cornelius lucas (december 15)
- te sammis reyes (december 15)
- db kendall fuller (December 14)
- dt tim settle (December 14)
- lb david mayo (December 13)
- dt bryan mone (December 20)
- by kerry hyder jr. (December 19)
- rb travis homer (December 19)
- t brandon shell (December 19)
- cb d.j. reed (December 19)
- wr tyler lockett (December 16)
- rb alex collins (December 16)
rams of the angels
- t joseph noteboom (Dec 18)
- t tyler higbee (Dec 17)
- og jamil demby (Dec 17)
- lb von miller (December 16)
- db antoine brooks jr. (December 16)
- db jake gervase (December 16)
- lb ogbonnia okoronkwo (December 16)
- te johnny mundt (December 15)
- te jared pinkney (December 15)
- db terrell burgess (december 14)
- db jordan fuller (december 14)
- db juju hughes (December 14)
- t rob havenstein (December 13)