united states u-20 wynt vs. netherlands – group d
fifa under-20 women’s world cup 2022
Reading: Usa vs netherlands women’s soccer
aug. 14 | National Stadium; San Jose, Costa Rica
united states continues fifa u-20 women’s world cup 2022 with group d clash against netherlands:
After a convincing 3-0 win to open the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup 2022, USA. uu. the under-20 women’s junior national team will continue to play group d on sunday 2 august. 14 against the Netherlands at the San José National Stadium (7pm et; fs1). It will be the first meeting between the United States and the Netherlands at a FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup. Of course, the senior teams met in the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup Final in Lyon, France, a 2-0 win that gave the United States its fourth world title. The United States will finish the group stage against Japan on Wednesday, August 8. 17 back in the morera soto stadium (7 pm et; fs2). Fans can follow the U-20 Wynt throughout the tournament on ussoccer.com, Facebook, Twitter (@usynt) and Instagram (@usynt).
back in action:
the match between the united states and ghana was the first game of the junior women’s world cup for a united states team. team in almost exactly four years since the 2-2 draw with Spain on August 10. 13, 2018, to end group play at the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup 2018 in France. With Japan beating the Netherlands, 1-0, in the other Group D game, the United States are currently top of the group with a plus-3 goal difference to Japan’s plus-1.
united states u-20 women’s world cup team media guide:
united states u20 wynt media guide for fifa u20 women’s world cup 2022 can be viewed or downloaded here.
watch the fifa u-20 women’s world cup on fox:
Each of the 32 tournament matches will air on fox soccer plus (8 matches), fs1 (10 matches) or fs2 (14 matches) and are available online at foxsports.com and the fox sports app with its corresponding authentication. all knockout stage matches will be shown on fs1 (5 matches including semi-finals and championship game) or fs2 (3 matches). Additionally, all 32 games are broadcast live on FIFA+ in territories that do not have television rights holders for the tournament. The first eight matches included some close games, five of which were one-goal games or draws, and two upsets, as Colombia defeated Germany, 1-0, and Nigeria scored late to beat France, 1-0. In fact, the United States’ 3-0 victory over Ghana was the largest margin of victory in any game during the first two rounds.
fifa u-20 women’s world cup 2022 – usa group d schedule uu.
united states vs. holland
national stadium; san jose, costa rica
united states vs japan
morera soto stadium; Alajuela, Costa Rica
group d classification
2022 fifa usa women’s world cup under-20 roster by position (college or club; hometown; caps/under-20 goals)
goalkeepers (3): mia justus (florida state; lakewood, ohio; 7), neeku purcell (ucla; seattle, washington; 6), teagan wy (california; santa margarita ranch, California; 2)
Defenders (6): Lauren Flynn (Florida State; Arlington, Va.; 0/9), Samar Guidry (Virginia; Mckinney, Texas; 0/11) Emily Mason (Rutgers; flemington , n.j.; 3/16), ayo oke (california; lawrenceville, ga.; 0/10), lilly reale (ucla; hingham, massachusetts; 1/7), laney rouse (virginia; cary, n.c.; 0/8 )
midfielders (5): korbin albert (notre dame; grayslake, il.; 1/5), talia dellaperuta (unc; cumming, ga.; 5/20), annie karich (santa Clara; Surfside, Calif.; 0/1), Carina Lageyre (Duke; Cooper City, FL; 0/5), Olivia Moultrie (Portland Thorns FC; Wilsonville, Ore.; 2/8)
forwards (7): trinity byars (texas; richardson, texas; 10/3); Michelle Cooper (Duke; Clarkston, Michigan; 9/8); Simone Jackson (USC; Redondo Beach, Calif.; 9/7), Andrea Kitahata (Stanford; Hillsborough, Calif.; 7/7), Ally Sentnor (UNC; Hanson, Mass.; 1/3), Jaedyn Shaw (San diego wave fc; frisco, texas; 5/3), alyssa thompson (total futbol academy; studio city, calif.; 5/4)
summary of the first game:
The united states’ convincing 3-0 victory over ghana marked the united states’ fifth victory in an opening match of the fifa under-20 women’s world cup. The United States have failed to win their first match in their last three U-20 Women’s World Cup appearances with two losses and a draw. The only other time the United States failed to win their first U-20 World Cup match was a 1-1 draw with Ghana in 2010. This time, the United States outscored Ghana 21-5 and did not allow a shot on goal. ee uu. scored at the right moments, scoring an 11th-minute goal from team captain michelle cooper, a 38th-minute goal from alyssa thompson after ghana’s jacqueline owusu received a red card for stomping on midfielder korbin’s achilles tendon Albert, and then again just six minutes into the second half through Ally Sentnor to effectively set the game. America will regret not finding the net a few more times after playing a lead player for nearly an hour. ghana was tough at every tackle and received four yellow cards in addition to the red.
template change – bronco for bronco:
midfielder sally menti was ruled out of the 2022 fifa women’s world cup after suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in her right knee during training in costa rica before the tournament. She has been replaced by midfielder Annie Karich, a rising freshman at Santa Clara, the university she also attends Menti. The 5-foot-9 Karich (pronounced care-ick) hails from Surfside, California and is capped at the U-20 level, though she too has experience with the US. uu. U-15 and U-17 women’s youth national teams. She arrived in Costa Rica on Aug. 13. “We’re absolutely gutted for Sally,” said U.S. tracey kevins, u-20 wynt head coach. Ella “she is a fantastic person and player, she has a great support system from her family, the national team and santa clara, so we know she will come back strong. our players are a tight-knit group and I know they will keep her in her hearts throughout this tournament, but at the same time, we look forward to welcoming annie back to our team.”
- the usa list. uu. It is made up of 18 players who are currently in college or will enroll this fall, one youth club player and two professional players, the most professionals in us history. uu. team in a fifa junior women’s world cup.
- players born on or after January. 1, 2002, are age-eligible for the World Cup, and the United States roster features eight players born in 2002, eight born in 2003, four born in 2004 and one in 2005. Sixteen of the 20 players who helped The United States to reach a 7-0-0 record and 49-0 goal difference in the Concacaf Women’s Under-20 Championship were part of the World Cup roster. The two professional players from the United States, Jaedyn Shaw of San Diego Wave FC and Olivia Moultrie of Portland Thorns FC, are pioneers.
- shaw entered the nwsl through the discovery process and signed his first professional contract with the wave on July 18 after training for six months in the spirit of washington. Moultrie signed with the Thorns in June 2021 to become the youngest player to join the Women’s National Soccer League.
- The college freshmen on the list are goaltender Neeku Purcell (UCLA), midfielder Carina Lageyre (Duke), Annie Karich (Santa Clara), and goaltender Teagan Wy (California).
- Rising sophomores are goalkeeper Mia Justus (Florida State), defender Ayo Oke (California), Emily Mason (Rutgers), Lilly Reale (UCLA), midfielder Korbin Albert (Notre Dame) and forward Andrea Kitahata (Stanford), Michelle Cooper (Duke), Simone Jackson (USC), Trinity Byars (Texas), and Ally Sentnor (UNC), although Sentnor made the redshirt freshman season due to injury. .
- The emerging juniors are defenders Laney Rouse (Virginia), Lauren Flynn (Florida State) and Samar Guidry (Virginia) as well as midfielder Talia Dellaperuta (UNC).
- All Players on the roster have been capped at under-20 level, led by Dellaperuta (19 caps) and defender Emily Mason (15 caps), the two players on the roster who featured in Wynt’s previous under-20 cycle.
- All five players born in 2004 and 2005 (forwards Thompson, Shaw and Sentnor, midfielder Moultrie and goalkeeper Wy) are age-eligible for the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup 2024.
- the united states have played the second most matches (48) at the fifa u-19/u-20 women’s world cup, behind only germany (49) and have scored the second most of goals (104), also behind Germany (127).
- Five players who did not make the world cup qualifying roster persevered to make the world cup squad. Those players are forward Jaedyn Shaw, midfielders Carina Lageyre and Korbin Albert, Allied forward Sentnor, and goalkeeper Teagan Wy.
- The roster is made up of players from 12 different colleges and 13 different states. There are four players on the roster from California, three from Texas, and two from Georgia, Washington, and Massachusetts.
- ucla, unc, florida state, duke, virginia and california each have two players on the world cup roster. The only player on the roster who is not in college or will be this fall is forward Alyssa Thompson, who plays for the U-17 men’s team in MLS next at Total Soccer Academy in Los Angeles and is headed to Stanford in the fall 2023.
more information about the wynt under-20:
game history: champions of the sud ladies cup
Press release: world cup roster named
Video: World Cup Squad Reveal
video: jaedyn shaw’s first nwsl goal (scored in her first nwsl match)
video: olivia moultrie goal vs. houston dash (youngest player to score a goal in the nwsl regular season)
video: olivia moultrie goal from distance vs. nj/ny gotham fc
video: usa u-20 wynt arrives in costa rica
video: Meet the team’s video
video: video of neeku purcell and the search for sloths
article written: simone jackson on football, soccer and family
written article 5 things you should know about the fifa 2022 wwc under-20
video: behind the scenes at fifa media session
video: tournament preview
game story: usa 3, ghana 0
video: U20 captain michelle cooper’s post-match reaction
16 teams compete for the tenth under-20 title:
This year marks the tenth edition of the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup, FIFA’s highest-profile women’s competition after the World Cup and the Olympics. The biennial competition began as the FIFA U-19 Women’s World Championship in 2002 and was held as an U-19 event in 2004 before moving to its current U-20 format in 2006. The 16 nations were divided into four groups of four teams. The top two finishers in each group advance to the quarterfinals, which will be played on Saturday, August 1. 20 and Sunday, Aug. 21. The winners of those matches advance to the semifinals on Thursday, August 8. 25. The championship and the match for third place will be played on Sunday, August 28. The United States is one of only four teams to have qualified for every FIFA WWC at this age level, along with three-time champions Germany, Brazil and Nigeria.
all world cup matches are played in two venues that are only 12 miles apart: the national stadium in san jose (capacity 34,024 for the tournament) and the morera soto stadium in alajuela (reduced to 4,980 for el sub-20 wwc), named after a famous costa rican player who played for barcelona in the 1930s. the stadium was named in 1966 in honor of soto, whose heart was buried in one of the stadium’s columns . currently all the energy used by the stadium is 100% solar, which makes it one of the few stadiums in all of central america, mexico and the caribbean that is supplied entirely with renewable energy.
usa. under-20 wynt vs. holland:
- this will be the first meeting between the united states and the netherlands at the u-20 women’s world cup, but match day will mark just 47 days since the teams played during a tournament in france. the result was a 2-2 draw with u.s. goals from michelle cooper and jaedyn shaw while danique noordman and ziva henry scored for the dutch. the match featured a shootout of penalty kicks, which ee. uu. won to secure the title at the sud ladies cup.
- ten of the 15 players who played for us. uu. in that match they are in the world cup team, whereas the Dutch used 15 players in that match, all of whom are all from the world cup team.
- due to the global pandemic that affected european qualification for this tournament, uefa nominated teams based on the results of the 2019 uefa women’s under-19 championship. the netherlands reached the semi-finals of that tournament, which would eventually give them a bid for the under-20 world cup, but they fell to germany, 3-1, in that semi-final.
- The 21 players from the Netherlands play nationally and hail from nine different clubs, several of them famous for men’s teams, including ajax, psv eindhoven and feyenoord.
- the dutch got off to a bit of a shaky start to this world cup as they were outshot by a very talented japanese team, 27-8, but the defender was fine and only allowed one goal in the minute 23 yuzuki hamamoto.
- goalkeeper lisan alkemade, who also faced the united states in the sud ladies cup, made six saves.
fifa u-20 women’s world cup netherlands 2022 roster by position (club)
goalkeepers (3): 1-claire dinkla (fortuna sittard), 16-lisan alkemade (psv eindhoven), 21-femke liefting (vv alkmaar)
Defenders (7): 2-kim everaerts (fc twente), 3-marit auÉe (fc twente), 4-samantha van diemen (fortuna sittard), 5-nina nijstad (sc heerenveen ), 13-fenna meijer (sc heerenveen), 14-senna koeleman (psv eindhoven), 15-jeva walk (pec zwolle)
midfielders (5): 6-dana foederer (fortuna sittard), 8-ella peddemors (fc twente), 12-tess van bentem (pec zwolle), 10-danique noordman (pec zwolle ), 20-rosa van goal (afc ajax)
forwards (6): 7-liz rijsbergen (ado den haag), 9-sanne koopman (feyenoord rotterdam), 11-ziva henry (afc ajax), 17-zera hulswit (psv eindhoven ), 18-shi-jona martina (psv eindhoven), 19-charlotte hulst (fortuna sittard)