for the sixth time in seven tournaments, the women’s gold medal hockey game at the 2022 winter olympics will feature usa. uu. vs. Canada.
Ahead of tonight’s game (11:05pm and on NBC), here’s how to watch it, a preview of what you can expect, the history of the USA-Canada rivalry, and a rundown of how to watch it. both teams reached the final.
more of her turf: live updates from the women’s hockey gold medal game
- 1 what time is the women’s hockey gold medal game?
- 2 how to watch the olympic hockey final between the united states and canada:
- 3 what are the hockey overtime rules in the olympic gold medal game?
- 4 how the us and Canada’s women’s hockey teams made it to the Olympic final:
- 5 what is the status of the usa-canada rivalry in women’s hockey?
- 6 history of the rivalry between us. uu. and canada: history of world and olympic championships (finals only)
- 7 United States (USA) Women’s Hockey Team: 2022 Roster & History
- 8 canada women’s hockey team (canada): 2022 roster and olympic history
what time is the women’s hockey gold medal game?
The Women’s Hockey Gold Medal Game at the 2022 Winter Olympics is tonight (Wednesday) at 11:05 p.m. m. and (12:05 p.m. Thursday in Beijing).
how to watch the olympic hockey final between the united states and canada:
The women’s hockey gold medal game between the united states and canada will be broadcast live on nbc in the united states. You can also stream the game live via peacock or nbcolympics.com.
Once the game starts, live updates will be provided here for your territory.
what are the hockey overtime rules in the olympic gold medal game?
not a bad question to be prepared to answer, given that the last four usa finals. the team’s victory in the 2018 Olympic shootout.
That said, there will be no penalty kicks during tonight’s Olympic gold medal game, if only because the iihf rules have changed in the last four years.
If the Olympic gold medal game is tied at the end of the third period, the teams will play a 20-minute three-on-three (three players, one goaltender) “sudden win” overtime period. if the score remains tied at the end of the first overtime period, another 20-minute “sudden win” overtime period will follow using the same three-on-three format. and so on, until a team scores.
how the us and Canada’s women’s hockey teams made it to the Olympic final:
while u.s. The women’s hockey team enters the Olympic gold medal game as the defending champion, Canada is the favorite for gold thanks to the team’s performance in Beijing.
the canadians battled their way through the olympic tournament, going 4-0 in the group stage (including a 4-2 win against the united states), before defeating sweden 11-0 in the round of quarterfinals and switzerland 10-3 in the quarterfinal round. semifinal round. In all, Canada has outscored their opponents in Beijing by a combined 54-8.
the united states had their first major ice challenge of the tournament just 10 minutes after the first game when u.s. alternate captain brianna decker suffered a tournament-ending injury. the United States. he went on to post a 3-1 record in group play. in addition to losing to canada, the usa. he also posted smaller margins of victory than the Canadians against almost all pool play opponents. To reach the gold medal game, the Americans defeated the Czech Republic in a surprisingly close 4-1 win, followed by a 4-1 victory over Finland.
more women’s hockey: savannah harmon paves an unexpected path to her Olympic debut
Ahead of the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics, Canada won four of the six Olympic qualifiers on the abbreviated “My Why” tour, in addition to that 4-2 win in the group stage.
However, none of that matters in the gold medal game. history also reflects it:
here is only the gold medal game (and the only game before it).
2018: 🇺🇸 (🇨🇦)2014: 🇨🇦 (🇨🇦)2010: 🇨🇦 (🇨🇦)2002: 🇨🇦 (🇺🇸)1998: 🇺🇸 (🇺🇸)
only 3 out of 5 times did the pre-Olympic meeting “predict” the winner of the #winterolimpics gold medal.
#ice hockey | @usahockey | @hockeycanada
— alex azzi (@alexazzinbc) February 8, 2022
what is the status of the usa-canada rivalry in women’s hockey?
Since the first official women’s world championship in 1990, and the inaugural Olympic tournament in 1998, the United States and Canada have combined to win every title in women’s hockey.
“It’s the most beautiful rivalry in sports,” said hilary knight. “you get the best and the worst of both at the same time.”
“I think it’s pretty unmatched,” said nurse sarah from canada. “Our history goes back to 1998 and that is one of the oldest stories of a rivalry.”
all but two finals (2006 olympics, 2019 world championships) were held in the united states and canada in the gold medal game. The Americans will enter Beijing as the defending Olympic champions, while Canada won the most recent world title last August.
Below is a summary of this historic rivalry. Olympic finals are in bold, while non-U.S. finals are in bold. against Canada are in italics.
history of the rivalry between us. uu. and canada: history of world and olympic championships (finals only)
Theirs is unlike any rivalry in the history of the sport. 🇺🇸🇨🇦
united states vs. canada. female hockey. gold medal game.
Wednesday at 11 p.m. m. and at @nbc & @peacocktv | #winterolympics pic.twitter.com/ybaxeyobxb
– in their territory (@onherturf) February 16, 2022
United States (USA) Women’s Hockey Team: 2022 Roster & History
- head coach: joel johnson; assistant coaches: courtney kennedy, brian pothier, steve thompson
- best Olympic finish: gold (1998, 2018)
- number of returning Olympians: 15 (including 13 from 2018)
- number of rising/current college players: 5 (cayla barnes, jesse compher, grace zumwinkle , abbey murphy, caroline harvey). harvey, the youngest member of the team, deferred his freshman year at the university of wisconsin to train with team usa in 2021-22
- youngest player on the team: caroline harvey (19 years old)
- oldest player on the team: hilary knight (32 years old)
canada women’s hockey team (canada): 2022 roster and olympic history
- head coach: troy ryan; assistant coaches: doug derraugh, kori cheverie, ali domenico
- best olympic result: gold (2002, 2004, 2010 ) , 2014)
- number of returning Olympians: 13
- current college players: 3 (sarah fillier, emma maltais, ashton bell)
- youngest player: sarah fillier (21 years old)
- oldest player: jocelyne larocque (33 years old)
follow alex azzi on twitter @alexazzinbc